gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Karma can be voted by members with at least 25 posts.

gfx gfx
gfx
9680 Posts in 1096 Topics by 3397 Members - Latest Member: Aoberiauneni November 27, 2014, 06:09:13 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Player Added Content  |  Player Created Content  |  The steam Charge
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The steam Charge  (Read 6948 times)

Crosseyes

• Mekkor Elite
Re: The steam Charge
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:57 PM »
I don't get it at all (mainly because computer/internet/mmo/whatever jargen confuses me lots
Life is one long, insane trip. Some people just have better directions.

texmechs

• Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »
Oh, you wouldn't mind the FTL explanation. 

The engine used in ships is the PhaseLight WarpCore.  Select a destination, push a button, get there in a reasonable amount of time.

Standard anti-gravity keeps you from becoming ectoplasm on the walls.

There are also intra-system forms of propulsion that are different than the PL/WC. 

That's it!  Nothing more complicated than that.

(For those of you who are now disappointed, rest assured there is a technical explanation that is based on some research by Stephen Hawkings and Michio Kaku.  It'll be available soon in the revised timeline I'll release when approved.)
Jeff "-=TexMechs=-" Newcomb
Director of Business Development
Wardog Studios, Inc.

Crosseyes

• Mekkor Elite
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 08:39:26 PM »
 :P derrrrrr I am con-fus-ed!

Middnight

• Mech Pilot
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 07:39:30 PM »
My guess...

Rapidly releasing a gas that is highly pressurised actually makes it very cold. Example. CO2 canister for pellet guns, fire it quickly and there is a lot of frost and ice on the cylinder. Dont know the physics behind it.

I had actually typed out a long, confusing diatribe that said the same thing as this wikipedia entry:

As a gas expands, the average distance between molecules grows. Because of intermolecular attractive forces, expansion causes an increase in the potential energy of the gas. If no external work is extracted in the process (“free expansion”) and no heat is transferred, the total energy of the gas remains the same because of the conservation of energy. The increase in potential energy thus means a decrease in kinetic energy and therefore in temperature.

A second mechanism has the opposite effect. During gas molecule collisions, kinetic energy is temporarily converted into potential energy. As the average intermolecular distance increases, there is a drop in the number of collisions per time unit, which causes a decrease in average potential energy. Again, total energy is conserved, so this leads to an increase in kinetic energy (temperature). Below the Joule-Thompson inversion temperature, the former effect (work done internally against intermolecular attractive forces) dominates, and free expansion causes a decrease in temperature. Above the inversion temperature, the latter effect (increased potential energy associated with collisions) dominates, and free expansion causes a temperature increase.

Hope that clears it up?
So many big words! ;D

Middnight

• Mech Pilot
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 07:41:11 PM »
Well in short, we called FTL movement as, "Puddle Jumping" and "Space Skipping."
Puddle jumping sounds like something from a show I watch actually they say that alot :)= SGA

texmechs

• Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »
That's why you should pay little attention to Mr. Hamilton on FTL issues, as I don't think I've ever used the term "puddle jumping," until now.   ::)

I've referred to it as "igniting the WarpCore," "warping," or "whipping the FTL Pony Express."  Never as puddle jumping.   :o :o
Jeff "-=TexMechs=-" Newcomb
Director of Business Development
Wardog Studios, Inc.

Crosseyes

• Mekkor Elite
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
your explanations-------->  ________________________

My head------->                   _____________________
                                        /                                   \
                                       /                                      \

D3athsong

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »
I still dont understand the original idea.  I beleive that it was something to do with compressed steam.  Im assuming this steam consists of water and ur shooting it on people, somehow freezing them(might needa -50 degree celcius day).  Might be easier to burn peole with steam and render them useless for awhile.  Not quite sure how or why it works.  please explain.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:49:59 PM by D3athsong »

Mr_Red_X

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
I still dont understand the original idea.  I beleive that it was something to do with compressed steam.  Im assuming this steam consists of water and ur shooting it on people, somehow freezing them(might needa -50 degree celcius day).  Might be easier to burn peole with steam and render them useless for awhile.  Not quite sure how or why it works.  please explain.

read the previous posts   ;)

but here's the idea: When a gas is compressed, to the extreme, in a large amount, it requies alot of energy in a sense. when it is released, it absorbs surrounding energy. it takes that energy around it, reduce the tempature and freezing whatever is near by.

D3athsong

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »
I understadn the basic priciple, but am not quite sure how or if it would work with steam.  something like liquid nitrogen may be a better choice.   But on the other hand, this is an idea to implement into a game and it doesnt necesarily have to be realistic,  just usefull and to look amazing doing its thing.

Mr_Red_X

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 02:32:35 PM »
I understadn the basic priciple, but am not quite sure how or if it would work with steam.  something like liquid nitrogen may be a better choice.   

It was in a animie movie so hell, it's gonaa be weird.

I like your attitude on the subject though.  ;D

Demontank

• Mech Bait
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
I believe water has different characteristics then CO2.  When water is pressurized it heats up.  However CO2 is pressurized it cools down.  That is the difference between chemicals what works for one might not work for another.  An ex would be magnesium, a metal in which once ignited burns bright enough to cause eye damage.
Or Aluminium powder which ignites when wet.

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Player Added Content  |  Player Created Content  |  The steam Charge

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx