gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

We are dealing with the spam as frequently as we can.
Until a solution can be found, please report the spam posts.

gfx gfx
gfx
261232 Posts in 232999 Topics by 3931 Members - Latest Member: clydeit2 February 21, 2018, 05:35:43 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Conquest System  |  MoF Contracting Commission
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MoF Contracting Commission  (Read 6254 times)

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
MoF Contracting Commission
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
To clarify: POC = Players Own Corps (not the big4, your common guild or alliance architecture)
              WoV = Window of Vulnerability (its, depending on the player input, when your asset is conquerable)
           MoFCC = Mercs of Fortune Contracting Commission
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**This idea takes place when, at some point, player own corp (poc?) will be able to conquer another poc instalation or territories. This idea was inpired by the Battlekeep window of vulnerability system from Age of Conan (quited in november) wich I only know partialy.**

First ill say that I didnt like the pvp in AoC at all and thats what made me quit but still the system of schedule for possible attack was a good idea tho. In AoC, a guild owning a battleweep had to choose when it would be attackable over the course of the week. I think they had to choose 2 window of 4 or 8 hrs for every weeks or something like that. A system like that make it that you dont have to defend your base 24/7 and be taken down by russians while you sleep (Eve ;)).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:40:13 AM by Kreator666 »
I am often flagged as a misanthropic person, that to my surprise, as it is only the other human beings which I despises ;)

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
Re: MoF Contracting Commission
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
I introduce you to the friendly Mercs of Fortune Contracting Commission (insert any better name if you dont like it)

The MoFCC would be an interface (MoF is obviously a rip off from the magazine Soldier of Fortune so it could have been funny for it to be a magazine ingame but mabye an e-version of it accesible on some sort of computer or on an arm band like the pip boy in fallout3) on wich every player could acces. Players with managing roles in pocs (player owned corporation) could set their window of vulnerabilyty for their assets (bases, mines, territories, idk...) for the week. They could also choose to plan an attack on another poc already posted WoV (window of vulnerability). So this interface would look like a calendar and an auction house blended together. A AH ? Yep ill explain in next post.
I am often flagged as a misanthropic person, that to my surprise, as it is only the other human beings which I despises ;)

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
So, would it be a first cime first served system ? Like, you set your WoV and then the first poc that click on it to challenge your poc has the spot ? It could be but idk I think I have a better idea ! (would need a set of rules and alot of thinking to be morron proof (if there is such a thing  ::))

I must admit this idea if implemented would rly influence how pvp works so its hard to enticipate how it would impact the game so ill need your imput on it ppl/devs. Also I might find it hard to explain with my surrent skills in english (bieng french canadian).

Instead of ppl spaming the refresh button of the MoFCC to be sure to secure their raid of that No1 enemy poc or if multiple pocs want to attack/conquer the same asset wich is not fun. To solve this, pocs wanting to set a raid would have to bid over the WoV. If no one bid on your WoV well you are safe (bids would close 4?hrs before set WoV time to prevent last second, in your face, suprise attack lame tactics). There would be a minimum bid (ill throw numbers since idk how much money things will cost) of 5 millions and fees paid to the MoFCC of 50 K for every bids (to avoid/reduce ppl continualy outbidding each others). The highest bidding poc purchase the right to attack the WoV owning poc for that time period. I'm sure reading this will raise more then an eyebrow but bare with me ill try to explain my reasonning in the next post, its quite complicated and I havent sorted all out myself yet   :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:18:22 PM by Kreator666 »

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:06 AM »
This bidding to get the right to attack raises lots of questions like:

why the hell would I have to pay if I want to shoot that guy in the face ?
 Well that would only by for frontier ? battlekeep( FoA version and name) not open wolrd pvp. Also the bidding system ensure (with a proper set of rules) that ppl wont set their WoV in a way that themselve (or a pet poc, alts, friendly pocs) are the attackers and defenders (would ruin the system so need to prevent players from doing so). Also since there is only one poc that will own (highest bidder) the right to attack durring the WoV, pocs wanting to attack will have to compete by bidding. In AoC even if only one guild could attack you, what ppl did was to band 3-4  friendly guild together for the time of the raid and attack. Defenders could do same (maybe thats alright maybe it could be forbiden (hard to do, cant prevent ppl from quiting jioning guilds as they wish unless you put a timer in hrs before your /gquit works)).

Where are those bid going ? Who are thoose MoFCC guys ? What kind of Mafia is that ?

Well obviously its a money sink but more then that, in a lore perspective, it could be that after the begining stage is done and that pocs are implemented, the big4 would still posses all the territory even the one the the pocs are having so that pocs would kinda have to rent them, not by a fixed amount every fixed amount of time (could also be) but by that bidding money. The MoFCC would be a npc corp paying the big4 (bieng a consortium or the 4 factions to take advantage of the increasing mercs forces).

If I am to pay for the right to attack on top of my equipment that I risk in combat it wouldnt worth it !

Well if the place does not worth it there shouldnt be a high, if any, bid on it so that surplus shouldnt be much. If the place is very valuable then expect high profit from it if your raid if succesful so assume the high bid as lots of pocs will try to get it.

Why would I have to pay to attack while the defenders have it easy ? On top of that its always easier to defend (you have turrets, repair bays) then to attack so come on !

Yeah well thats kinda true and thats where is getting confusing. Thats where I stoped at first. Thats would be phase one of my ''frontier'' pvp system. Phase two below.

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:27:36 AM »
Why would I have to pay to attack while the defenders have it easy ? On top of that its always easier to defend (you have turrets, repair bays) then to attack so come on !

Well it could be just like that an shut up !  8) Or I could twink it furthermore !

The equilibrate the risk vs reward for both attacker/defender, on the defender side you would also have to pay. Pay what ? They are at home so why pay ? See it as rent for the big4 owners of all the planet. At first I was thinking to open biddings on the defenders side too but other then themselve their wouldnt much of a bidder so it wouldnt make sense unless that they would hire ppl (mercs there is jobs for you!!) to defend for them (that option might be explained in a possible phase 3). So lets say the WoV closing bid was 10 millions, it could be that both side have to pay 10M or that they split the bill 5M each. Consider that as an ante to play poc size pvp or similar (I lack the presice term) to poker when you put in the same money as the other player so that you both show your cards.

(in this phase two, if for a WoV there would be an attacker but no defenders ( the defender wouldnt have to put himself on the calendar but just check a box acknowledging the attacker and saying that they are willing to defend and pay the WoV price too) then they would win by forfeit but still have to pay the WoV to the big4 (welcome tax...;p) but the defending side would not have to pay considering they have abandon the location.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:39:21 AM by Kreator666 »

SoulMiner

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:01:13 AM »
if you use abbreviations Ex. FOA(Force of arms) put the full text after it. i had trouble understanding the ideas but i got the jist of the matter. its a good idea and system.  ;)
IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
yh sry,...when I get started hehe and in my secound language I did my best to be clear...with average result i know. Im still thinking about phase 3 (seen that devs, im using a phase scaled approch meaning its uber  :D) but somethings dont work out yet. I'll think about it some more and try to finalize it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:36:41 AM by Kreator666 »

Sturm Kintaro

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:55:55 AM »
By the way Kreator,

What you're mentioning actually sounds like the Mercenary Review & Bonding Commission that the BT universe used.  It covered things like contracts between mercenary corps, arbitration if there was a dispute over whether a contract was executed as it was written/was it honored, etc etc.

Might want to look there if you would like a good source of that material:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mercenary_Review_and_Bonding_Commission
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:46 PM »
Ah ok, I dont know much about BT. What i know about mech is from MW on snes then MW2 and 4 on PC and Armored Core. Wolfs Dragoon, i remember them from MW2, Comstart is familiar to me I think from other MW games also, same with clans so im confuse. I remember of a mech game 3??? on snes that I didnt play much (the view was from the top) and it was more an arcade type of game. So I read a bit on the wiki you linked and it seemed MW lore to me, they were mentioning Outreach (MW4) so what is the difference between BT (is it just a Table top version of MW ?) an MW ?

Also that MRBC was it just lore or a "real" ingame institution used by players ?

Sturm Kintaro

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:57:11 AM »
Battletech (BT) was the tabletop game; Mechwarrior (MW) was the electronic version of BT.

The BT universe was the source of all the lore and storyline for the MW "universe".  Pretty much everything in the MW universe came from the BT storyline (whole House Davion/House Steiner drama, etc etc).

If you have (just a bit... actually a lot) of free time, I'd seriously reccommend all the BT books.

A chronological list can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_novels#Classic_BattleTech_novels

Obviously there's a ton of them... but it's quite possibly one of the best collective sci-fi works in existence.

but a *very* brief primer so as to not give away any spoilers.

Comstar is a reclusive bunch of technical adepts/religious zealouts that are the only group capable of Faster Than Light communication.  Everyone tolerates them because without FTL communication they'd be dead.

The Clans are a group of elite warriors from "outside" the Inner Sphere (what they'd call "civilized" space.)  Everyone thinks of them as boogeymen until they actually show up.

But seriously, read the books. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. :)

Kreator666

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
    • My band Eternal Burden
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
Thx for your detailed info Kintaro. I dont know if those novels had been big enought to been made audio books (its faster to get through and you only got 1 lifetime so that way I can "read" more) so ill try to torrent them.

Im currently on R.A Salvatori work (downloaded his collection in audio books (still have 23 or so to "read")

Beovvulf

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:02 AM »
I like the aspect of having set times that your Corp. can be attacked so that you can actually be there to protect it.  There is nothing more frustrating than to log into the game just to find that your Corp. no longer exists.

However, I do not like the bidding to attack it aspect.  In the real world there is no such aspect.  If 2 different factions decide to attack the same place at the same time then those 2 factions have to decide if they can work together against their mutual target (and subsequently how they will resolve acquisition of the mutual target if they succeed) or battle each other first for the right to attack their mutual target.

Pre-defining a battle via your AH method would take a lot away from the freedom of the FoA world that I have come to expect form other posts.  Besides, I think it would actually add to the game to have multiple factions show up at the same time.  Strategies would become more fluid or the battles could become more chaotic or, or, or....

Sturm Kintaro

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »
I think that a form of the MBRC is good to have for the game, and I'll explain why.

Say that there's a peninsula that is rich in metals/resources, in the disputed territory between Genoma & Senka.  Both factions want the resources, but do not currently have the forces to occupy the peninsula to prevent it being taken over.  An offer is put out through the MBRC for a merc force through Senka.  KILL Industries takes the contract and sets up a temporary forward base.

Genoma sees this, and to protect their own interests, offers a contract to oust KILL Industries from that area they "legally" claim.  Genoma gets Kellzz' Hellzz Houndzz to try and kick KILL Industries out.  However, the contract also allows for KHH to outsource additional units to provide defense as needed. KHH recruits Hammerin Hamilton's Highlanders to provide additional offensive support.

Now at this point, KILL may have a few options... they may wish to go to the MBRC (or subsidiary) and ask for additional language written into the contract allowing them to subcontract out as well.  Or they could fight the contract, stating that the contract will hurt them (loss of equipment, manpower, etc etc)...

OR they could potentially go outside the contract and hire additional forces (and just hope they don't get caught)

This type of system does provide some rules of the game... which we're all going to want when we're the one that ends up screwed.  Yes, this is a game where you're responsible for your actions... but if you're a mercenary corp... you don't normally do anything just for cash.  You get a contract.  It's business.... this is a way to work it into the system that also matches the game's playstyle.

Beovvulf

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
I'm not seeing a connection between Kreator666's suggestion which deals with setting a battle time and yours Sturm.

Perhaps I have misunderstood but Kreator is suggesting setting up specific battle times via an AH type mechanism.  While I support having set times that your base can be attacked so that membership can actually be online to participate in its defense I do not support restricting who can attack during any particular available time.

Your suggestion has more to do with who gets contracted to do "something" and has no direct relationship with set attack times.  Just because mercenary group xyz has a contract to attack someone does not mean that they should be the ONLY ones to attack a base/installation at it's set attack availability time.  The aspect of another Corp. (say one of the big 4 or another merc group representing someone else) should still be able to enter into the mix.

To take it a step further what's to keep 2 of the big 4 to make contracts with 2 different mercenary organizations to attack an area held by a third party?  The scenario is still there for both merc groups to show up and attack the 3rd party at the same time but since they represent different Corps. they are going to have to do what I posted earlier; either join forces and figure out how to resolve the spoils IF they win (one option would be to battle each other after the win) or battle each other for the right to attack the 3rd party or everyone for themselves and see how it all washes out.

Sturm Kintaro

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
I see... perhaps i just got blinded by the wall of text (apologies Kreator) :)... sometimes my eyes do tend to skim when I'm reading War & Peace-length posts... which means I probably should do the same with my own :)

I think the 2 systems could be meshed together in some way... But saying that corp X can attack corp Y between 10-2 EST just doesn't work.  Giving a range, like "The factory can be attacked between 3/1/09 and 3/3/09"  would make it more akin to EVE's wardec'ing another corp.  Now at any time between now and then, it's fair game.

Thoughts?

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Conquest System  |  MoF Contracting Commission

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx