gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

We are dealing with the spam as frequently as we can.
Until a solution can be found, please report the spam posts.

gfx gfx
gfx
261232 Posts in 232999 Topics by 3931 Members - Latest Member: clydeit2 February 21, 2018, 05:38:30 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Conquest System  |  Methods of conquest
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Methods of conquest  (Read 14680 times)

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
Re: Methods of conquest
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »
Thinking that for the leaders (even for cities), that the controls will be controlled by sliders, essentially percentage as you have said (if you have played the original Master of Orion, it is to be something like that).  Going to be simplistic with the interface, so that players will not need to spend a lot of their time administrating rather than playing.  Also to provide off-line support for leaders, so leaders can make changes without logging into the game world.
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Kurimuzon

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
Also to provide off-line support for leaders, so leaders can make changes without logging into the game world.
I think thats a great idea

Kurimuzon

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 11:49:14 PM »
say a PC leader of a faction was doing a bad job in the eyes of his followers would guilds be able to rise up (maybe causeing civil war if it was big enough) or what cause this has been on my mind for awhile now im just seeing if you guys have thought that far ahead or it will just be a we will see kinda thing

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 12:45:55 PM »
If a leader is a doing a bad job for a faction, then that leader should be replaced; hopefully through a professional manner.  For example a vote of no confidence by the board members.  If this is not possible (such as the leader and some loyal board members have formed a voting block) then more drastic measures can be taken; assassinations (can be foreign or domestic) and coups.

A good political (back-stabbing) game, but rather unheard of, is Junta.
Wow!  I actually found a link at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)
Sign off,
Hamilton

Kurimuzon

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
If a leader is a doing a bad job for a faction, then that leader should be replaced; hopefully through a professional manner.  For example a vote of no confidence by the board members.  If this is not possible (such as the leader and some loyal board members have formed a voting block) then more drastic measures can be taken; assassinations (can be foreign or domestic) and coups.
good that anwsers my question lol

Mr_Red_X

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »

A good political (back-stabbing) game, but rather unheard of, is Junta.
Wow!  I actually found a link at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)

Wow I'm gonna go buy that! so, there's possibilty in causing full scale revolution like as in....
...crushing a faction and changing it? Sweet!

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
You can try, get enough supporters...
Sign off,
Hamilton

Malice42

• Mech Pilot
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 10:42:40 AM »
Hamilton, after reading this thread I have to say that I have complete confidence in your ability to theorize a great MMORPG, your ideas are sound and they way they will mesh together is amazing.

Well done.

P.S.: The part about leading a revolution could use some elaboration, Im pretty sure that is just dreaming about what could happen  :P.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:45:18 AM by Malice42 »

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »
Right, for now.  We don't want to have the players gain full control right away, but rather hand it off later on.  The difficulty of a "revolution" or "coup" is how to apply it on a massive scale, and have mechanisms in place for players to support or oppose such a maneuver, all the while still keeping the game fun...  Such an environment could become a Griefer's Paradise, turning players off.

Hard to say really.  Hasn't been done that I know of.
Sign off,
Hamilton

HATEBRINGER

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »
There could be several ways to prevent one faction from dominating the game.
1)Conquering certain amount of territories close to faction capital will trriger Rebels/Partisants NPC spawn/events. Those guys shoud be anoying and if left on their own could even recapture terrain back.
2)When one faction starts losing badly certain unique items are avaible.
3)Lowered cost of repairs,ammo etc. for faction players and mercs
4)Mercs in that faction would get extra $$
5)Mercs are able to buy certain faction specific stuff
Enemy detected...
Sending com...
I am Hatebringer feel my wrath.
Launching missiles...
Target destroyed...
Sending com...
Hatebringer one to Vulture begin salvage operation window of oportunity 2 hours.

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 09:45:36 AM »
Agreed, as well as possibly using WMD's if the faction is facing near collapse.
Sign off,
Hamilton

HATEBRINGER

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »
WMDs could be way overpowerd considering NLD. Maybe each faction could have some sort of super weapon with limited range able to cover what would be considered core area of faction. Something like:
Nanitecloud for genoma that would slowly repair genoma mechs in such areas.
Powerdrain field for lukrons that would give enemies that enter area debuff that cause incrased weapon power drain and incrases fuel consumption.
There could also be various kinds of defence measures avaible in core areas when faction is under siege. Some would be common for each faction some would be unique.
Common:
Area denial ammo barrage - deploys small mine field in selected area.
Seeker drone - spy drone will circle in area

There could be also othere way puting some sort of NPC guards limit. Faction on planet have limited manpower. I assume there would be some sort of NPC guards that would defend outpost when players are busy somewhere else. For example you have 5 kinds of guard npc. Rookie, Inexperienced,Normal,Veteran,Hero.
When things are relativly balanced most of guards would be Normal but more territories you would conquer Rookies and Inexperienced guards start to pop here and there. As the conquest proceed one day you would notice where you had normaly 5 guard npc there would be 3 and all of them are Rookies inexperienced.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:19:58 PM by HATEBRINGER »
Enemy detected...
Sending com...
Launching missiles...
Target destroyed...
Sending com...
Hatebringer one to Vulture begin salvage operation window of oportunity 2 hours.

Wolve

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »
We came upon this problem in many games, be it DAoC, SWG or WoW, in which one side had more players than another...we always played on the "weaker" side. And over came the problem easy.

The Key is to quit thinking woe is me and organize your side into one fighting force. In the case of SWG, as Imperials being vastly outnumbered by rebels, the Rebels were horribly organized and each alliance only thought of themselves. A few would help each other, but rarely.

However the Imperials were more PvP oriented and more easily organized into a single fighting unit. Our city was founded by our guild, however we invited all the other alliances to place their bases in our city provided they would provide support in defending the bases.  The bases would span as far as the eye could see and Imperials there were numerous. The rebels never succeeded in taking a single base because of this.

And we crushed all of the stongholds to boot. So, tho numbers may matter to some, to others it is a challenge to overcome.

DAoC was no different....Albion outnumbered both Midgard and Hibernia in the beginning. I played an elf, yes. And we crushed Albion...they had the numbers, but we had the organization. Zerging may seem like a good tactic, but it does not always win.

I guess the point I am trying to make is numbers do not mean everything...it helps in some cases, but it is no garauntee. I assure you, if you use supperior tactics and rely on each player in your unit, you will beat any "zerg".

This game REEKS of possible tactis and planning strategies....missle boats 10KM away with a spotter hidden? I am just salivating here sorry hehe :)

HATEBRINGER

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »
On other hand it might lead to situation similiar to SG(shattered galaxy) where certain factions were under constant siege during other faction peak hours.
Enemy detected...
Sending com...
Launching missiles...
Target destroyed...
Sending com...

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2007, 08:23:50 AM »
I do agree there are concerns, and I think there will always be problems, just a matter to help things out.  Some good experience though from BattleTech was when either by playing Succession Wars or choosing Mech Units, was how to help out poor tiny House Liao.  Why would anyone want to play the smallest House in the game, especially next to the mighty House Davion?

On was, as mentioned by Hatebringer, that House Liao provided better mission payouts and salvage rights than any other House.
Sign off,
Hamilton

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Conquest System  |  Methods of conquest

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx