gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Automatic Registration is in effect (no e-mail verification).
Heck, Spambots easily defeat such checks, so why make it harder for you.

gfx gfx
gfx
9680 Posts in 1096 Topics by 3397 Members - Latest Member: Aoberiauneni November 23, 2014, 11:20:06 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Character System  |  Naming policy?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Naming policy?  (Read 7479 times)

Falcon

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
Naming policy?
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:37:49 AM »
*glances around the subforum* Hmmm, needs something to fill the emptiness. So here goes.

MMO's in all their various forms generally require the characters to have individual, unique tags (nick's). I've seen several variants of this, but generally it consists of a single word, usually limited to 12 or 16 chars. Sometimes you're allowed more words, sometimes digits are allowed, sometimes non-alphanumeric symbols, and sometimes language-specific letters.

I'm just wondering, how will FoA deal with this issue?

And I do have to ask, would it be possible for those of us who sneak in here regularly (even if we don't say much, like me) reserve our forum nick for use ingame?  ;D

Shadow Star

• Genoman
  • Wardog
  • Mekkor
  • World Designer
    • Force of Arms
Re: Naming policy?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:44:10 AM »
wondered a bit about this myself. would be cool to have a somewhat editable name ingame. you have your base name, for myself "Shadow Star" but ingame through corps, or clans, or even quests haev the ability to add to your name prefixes and suffixes. So someone high enough in your clan or corp could add to your name with your permission so you could end up with something like. "Lord Shadow Star, Genoman Elite" (I know Ego...) Just an example. Or also have it set up standard ones in your clan/corp, each ranking having a set prefix, and having the Suffix editable.
History is made every day. How will you be remembered?

khil1

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Elite
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
I would like to have your name (1 to 2 words) and then an option to have a nickname. Example: Vasslia "khil1" Cora.

Agamemnon

• Wardog
  • Field Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:36:52 AM »
ah the old naming debate. Well, this one has not been set in stone yet, but my opinion on it is that I don't want to see the legolas drizzt111 carried over here from those darn fantasy games.

However, I would like to see "call signs" used as a displayable nickname. We aren't firm on the how of this yet. Overall what we do have is a family name like Johnson for example. It is a common surname for you family. As with perma death John Johnson may die and then be taken over by Mark Johnson once a new chararcter is created. The call signs I would like to be specific though, Spider, Ocean Toad, Texmechs, Agamemnon all of these like Shadow Star and Khil are important to the players as their "known" gaming identifier. This name tends to follow them around from game to game and I'd like to see it implemented in a fashion here, it's what you guys want.

Therein lies another problem, roleplayers. Some roleplayers and this is a view only want to see NO names viewable on characters. I think to satisfy both types we must have an option to turn off display names, or have it off by default so that way it must be "found" out what the players name is or call sign, that will require the interaction of players (a chat, comm system, voice etc) and make the game more socialable.

So sticking with my thoughts I definitely don't want to see Legoals111!!2eleven as a call sign, but 1 legoalas I could stand. The characters must have a family name though and this should in some way be tied to your account. I don't want to go into much detail on that but it is to be a unique identifier for your account. Then with all families you have first names John, bob, Antonio whatever this is your actual character's name and not call sign. Call signs to me should be what is displayed and more information would have to be gathered by people to identify a players real name. As mechs will change, chararcters might as well but Callsigns and Unique family names should stay the same.

Again, we're still working out details on this but those are my opinions on the matter. I am all for having unique corporate title information as well like you mentioned lietenant sounds right in this environment, or Director, or manager or supervisor or team lead or chairman. All of these I THINK must be specific to your corporations ranking system though. I do like the idea for sure.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that do not.

khil1

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Elite
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »
So my login screen might look something like:
1)Jim-Bob Cora
  *Corparation*
   *Social Class or Military Rank*
2)Vasslia Cora
   *Corparation*
3)McBeth Cora
    *Corparation*

Also does this mean your different charcters can be in different corporations?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:21:20 PM by khil1 »

Grozzer

• Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
I don't see why different characters couldn't be in different corporations.  After all, some families during the civil war were literally divided father/son or brother/brother...

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
Replace *Level* with Social Class or Military Rank.  We're not using levels in this game system.  ;)

The nickname/call sign will be tied to the player's account info; thus character's can have different names, but the handle will be unique to the player.

Yeah, we're pretty much going to go with non-displaying of names over the heads of players, NPC's, and MOB's.  Going to have to rely on visual appearence, scanners or socialization skills to know for certain.

So far the convention is two names (first and last) with a handle.  No numbers or symbols (other than for a space, ' and - ) may be used, and when chatting the names will not be case-sensitive.  I forget off-hand what the max number of characters are.
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Middnight

• Mech Pilot
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »
ah the old naming debate. Well, this one has not been set in stone yet, but my opinion on it is that I don't want to see the legolas drizzt111 carried over here from those darn fantasy games.

However, I would like to see "call signs" used as a displayable nickname. We aren't firm on the how of this yet. Overall what we do have is a family name like Johnson for example. It is a common surname for you family. As with perma death John Johnson may die and then be taken over by Mark Johnson once a new chararcter is created. The call signs I would like to be specific though, Spider, Ocean Toad, Texmechs, Agamemnon all of these like Shadow Star and Khil are important to the players as their "known" gaming identifier. This name tends to follow them around from game to game and I'd like to see it implemented in a fashion here, it's what you guys want.

Therein lies another problem, roleplayers. Some roleplayers and this is a view only want to see NO names viewable on characters. I think to satisfy both types we must have an option to turn off display names, or have it off by default so that way it must be "found" out what the players name is or call sign, that will require the interaction of players (a chat, comm system, voice etc) and make the game more socialable.

So sticking with my thoughts I definitely don't want to see Legoals111!!2eleven as a call sign, but 1 legoalas I could stand. The characters must have a family name though and this should in some way be tied to your account. I don't want to go into much detail on that but it is to be a unique identifier for your account. Then with all families you have first names John, bob, Antonio whatever this is your actual character's name and not call sign. Call signs to me should be what is displayed and more information would have to be gathered by people to identify a players real name. As mechs will change, chararcters might as well but Callsigns and Unique family names should stay the same.

Again, we're still working out details on this but those are my opinions on the matter. I am all for having unique corporate title information as well like you mentioned lietenant sounds right in this environment, or Director, or manager or supervisor or team lead or chairman. All of these I THINK must be specific to your corporations ranking system though. I do like the idea for sure.
About the name over heads. I think I have a solution, why not have a character HUD with a 'Militia net' of some sort and use tis 'net' to find the name of the person you clicked. Also  there could be a dog tag system :)

John R. Scott

• Mech Slug
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »
Can't we please not have L33T names allowed. I hate that in EVE more than anything. I can't really stand it, and I'm not sure what these text messengers save by using it...since it often uses the same letters.

So I would ban the following characters from character names:

1234567890!@#$%^&*()_+=\|?/.>,<`~"

I would allow the 26 letters (upper and lower), space bar, hyphon and apostrophe and that's it.

It would also be nice to filter out commonly used names from various sci fi movies/shows and fantasy movies/shows: Example: Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Jean-Luc Picard, James Tiberius Kirk, Conan, Red Sonja, Deathstalker, Minq the Merciless, Buck Rogers, Wilma Darling, etc....

It would also be nice to filter out and ban any names related to religion, whether past or present. So no Buddha, Mohammad, Jesus Christ, Thor, Odin, Zeus, Mormon, Vishnu, Ra, etc

Crosseyes

• Mekkor Elite
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »
Thor? Zeus? come on, I understand current figures like mohammad and Jesus, but do we have to be carefull around the largely extinct greek, and roman, (and so on) religeons of the 100's of BCs, as these are the ones most publicly known by this crowd.

We need not be politically correct for the dead

P.s. sorry to any of you out there who actually may practice such religeons
Life is one long, insane trip. Some people just have better directions.

John R. Scott

• Mech Slug
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 01:16:10 AM »
Actually the reign of the Vikings didn't officially end until 1066 AD at the Battle of Hastings, where Prince William of Normandy conquored England.

The Wiccan faith still prays to many of the old gods that many consider mythological at this point. Their beliefs should be respected as well as the Judeo-Christian religions, Islam, Buddism, Hindu, etc.

I mentioned Mohammed because though not a god, he is considered a major personage of the Islamic faith. The same with Mormon, he was a prophet not a god, though he is held in high regard by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (as is Moroni who is the angel blowing the trumpet you see on the tops of their temples).

We'd want to avoid using Elohim or Jehovah as well.

Anyway its a suggestion. I've seen the names used as parts of other names that were very disrespectful to their respective religions.

Crosseyes

• Mekkor Elite
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:49:14 PM »
Yea, but you gotta admit, "Thor's Armory" has a certain ring to it, and I doubt religeous fanatics will be busting down the door to change it. I'll leave it at this, the religeous plane is one riddled with land mines, I think I might have already lost a few limbs... then again that could be the comma talking...
Life is one long, insane trip. Some people just have better directions.

Agamemnon

• Wardog
  • Field Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 12:32:05 AM »
Y"Thor's Armory"     nd I doubt religeous fanatics will be busting down the door to change it. I'll leave it at this, the religeous plane is one riddled with land mines,

I wouldn't go so far as to say that religous fanatics would not bust down the door to change it, actually the PTS has made threats before to the very council which governs K-9WD. Well, that is of course depending on your viewpoint, theirs or ours.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that do not.

John R. Scott

• Mech Slug
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 01:50:43 AM »
I was more talking about character names by players than place names set by the GM's or by the testers :)

Just to clarify.

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 07:12:16 AM »
While I do generally agree to naming restrictions and that certain names should be filtered, I think some others can be allowed.  For example, "Mohammed" would indeed be of the Islamic Prophet; but Mohammed is the most popular name in the world.  So in that case it should be allowed.

Though Mr. Scott may be referring to using those names in the singular form, one name/handle only vice first and surname.  So I could see "Mohammed" not being allowed, but Mohammed Blackstar could be.
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Character System  |  Naming policy?

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx