gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Automatic Registration is in effect (no e-mail verification).
Heck, Spambots easily defeat such checks, so why make it harder for you.

gfx gfx
gfx
9668 Posts in 1096 Topics by 3365 Members - Latest Member: Robertbes April 17, 2014, 11:24:47 AM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Multiverse Reports and Status  |  Multiverse: Back-End Support  |  Multiverse Selects Vivox to Deliver Voice to Virtual World Developers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Multiverse Selects Vivox to Deliver Voice to Virtual World Developers  (Read 3498 times)

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
Multiverse Selects Vivox to Deliver Voice to Virtual World Developers
Link:
http://www.vivox.com/pressreleases_detail.php?id=31

Vivox Voice to Integrate with the Multiverse Technology Platform

Framingham, MA - April 1, 2008

Vivox Inc., winner of the 2007 Game Developer Magazine Frontline Award for Best Audio Tool, today announced that Multiverse will include Vivox voice in the Multiverse Platform, its comprehensive virtual world development solution.

Bucking the traditional publisher model, Multiverse grants developer teams use of their platform, with full SDK access, documentation, and starter assets - including sample worlds - free through flexible revenue sharing plans. Consumers use the Multiverse World Browser, a single, free and downloadable application, to access any world built with the company's technology.

Through this partnership with Vivox, Multiverse developers will have pre-integrated voice chat and enhanced communications. In addition to high-quality and massively scalable voice chat, developers will get 3D positional audio, buddy lists, presence, speaking indicators and management tools to match the unique environment and social structure of their virtual world. Premium features such as voice fonts and voice mail will also be available.

"Virtual worlds are three dimensional realms with increasingly complex social structures that demand strong, proven communications to thrive," said Bill Turpin, CEO and co-founder of Multiverse. "By partnering with Vivox, we are enabling virtual world developers to quickly add Vivox's superior voice services with minimal development effort or financial commitment. Our customers will be able to include feature-rich voice services designed specifically to enrich the virtual world experience with the full support of the Vivox team."

"Multiverse is changing the way virtual worlds are developed, making it easier for more companies to take advantage of this innovative online medium," said Rob Seaver, CEO of Vivox. "The inclusion of Vivox's integrated and scalable voice service will ensure that developers using the Multiverse Technology Platform will be able to build effective communication structures, simply and cost-effectively. We look forward to working with Multiverse and their clients in the creation of visionary new virtual environments."

About Vivox, Inc.
Vivox provides high quality, massively scalable voice chat for online games and virtual worlds. Developers can enhance game play and foster community with Vivox's advanced feature set and unparalleled service. Today, the Vivox Network supports millions of users in more than 180 countries. Customers include leading online games and virtual worlds. For more information: www.vivox.com.

About The Multiverse Network, Inc
Multiverse is creating a network of virtual worlds. Its technology platform is changing the economics of this medium by empowering development teams to create high-quality virtual worlds - including Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOGs), social and educational worlds, and business collaboration environments - for less money and in less time than ever before. Multiverse solves the industry's prohibitive challenges by providing development teams with the Multiverse Platform, a comprehensive, pre-coded client-server infrastructure and tools, a wide range of free content - including sample worlds for modification - and a built-in market of consumers. The company gives consumers a single program - the Multiverse World Browser - that lets them enter all of the worlds built on the company's platform and available in the company's network. For more information, please visit www.multiverse.net.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:20:55 AM by Hamilton »
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
Re: Multiverse Selects Vivox to Deliver Voice to Virtual World Developers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
Or to put it in a simpler way, Voice Chat is in with some add possibilities...

Location of voice broadcasting as an example.
Sign off,
Hamilton

Kellzz

• Special Agent
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
But will players use it?

WoW and EVE have their own VOIP, but no one uses it since there are still better alternatives.
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn

www.retrorpg.net (retro rpg podcast)

D3athsong

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
I think its a great option to have, if it works well and people take the time to set it properly.  Unfortunately, most people dont do any setting and you either cant hear them, or they think they need to shove their mic in their mouth and scream.  Most people will clan up and jump on a TS or Vent server, but it will be nice to have the option to talk to people you dont know that you encounter in the game. 

Grim

• Corporateer
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
Good points but i think it will be used for example when you dont know hpw much you can trust the  pug your running with say and dont want them in your vent server you can just use the in game system. THE big point i seen hami make was the statement about location of voice possibilities? so im thinking if your a spy and close to say a clan chatting it up you can intercept these transmissions?
Get to killing or "GET THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY!"

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
True, I didn't think of intercepting messages, but at least that positions could be shown, be for it for friendly units or possible hostiles (ie: radio silence).

However, if such capabilities were allowed, the Pro's would use a 3rd Party VOIP (Team Speak or Ventrillo) to avoid those problems; and most likely use the in-game voice chat for setting up traps.

At least in-game voice chat allows for another VOIP option for those players or organizations who may not have a 3rd party one.  As for quality of the system, I can't tell you as I haven't tried it.

I know we could force the in-game voice chat system to be used by all players (such as voice identification/authorization/challenges when approaching factional units or facilities), but I don't think players will like that too kindly of being forced to do so.

A note about interception of voice chats.  Though such a practice would be acceptable for talk about the game or role-playing; it unfortunately brings up real world privacy issues, as this is considered a form of legitimate communications.  I wonder how I could explain this to the FCC of telling them that even though this is a long distance communication system, it is legal for people to wire-tap into such a system, as so long as, it is done within the game environment...   :P
Sign off,
Hamilton

Kellzz

• Special Agent
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »
Im not sure if i agree with you on that Hamilton.

COD4 offers a perk to allow players to eavesdrop on ingame coms.
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn

www.retrorpg.net (retro rpg podcast)

SS2Maximilian

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
  • I has a bucket
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »
Don't forget that after BF2 was released they added the voice chats too (Inculding BF2142), when I play with squads, they usually use voice chats for orders.

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
Im not sure if i agree with you on that Hamilton.

COD4 offers a perk to allow players to eavesdrop on ingame coms.
I was typing up an example of a possible situation based on real events that occurred with other games (EQ, SWG and WoW), that I know of.
But then realized that those event occurred with Text Chats, in which someone would posts a screenshot of a dialog either of an embarrassing tells or of very private personal information; usually from mistells or in some cases as pretending to be that person or of betraying trust.  Although the conversations were not intercepted (tapped) or used by voice, they were made known to the public.  From what I know of, no legal action ever occurred to the game company for providing a more secure means of communication.

So may the same is true with in-game VOIP, in which tapping into communications, would not fall under US communication laws.

I'll need to research this.  So maybe the possibility of hacking communications for players could be allowed.

Sign off,
Hamilton

Soull3ssMerc

• Mech Pilot
i play Project Reality Mod for BF2 and we use both VOIP ingame for squad chatter and Vent for cross squads that have to operate independently on seperate agendas and still be informed whats going on in the other possition

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Multiverse Reports and Status  |  Multiverse: Back-End Support  |  Multiverse Selects Vivox to Deliver Voice to Virtual World Developers

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx