gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Automatic Registration is in effect (no e-mail verification).
Heck, Spambots easily defeat such checks, so why make it harder for you.

gfx gfx
gfx
9672 Posts in 1095 Topics by 3391 Members - Latest Member: RonaldFus September 17, 2014, 12:32:32 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Combat System  |  Weapons for tanks and planes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Weapons for tanks and planes  (Read 1791 times)

Wild_Card

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
Weapons for tanks and planes
« on: November 11, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »
I assume that tanks and planes will have access to the same kinds of weapons that mechs have, but more limited space and number correct? I was wondering if they might get some kind of percentage increase, say no more then 10% because of their systems focus on their limited gun slots. After all, most tanks and planes are built around their weapons such as the Warthog plane and Abram tank.
Say a prayer, and draw a card.

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
Re: Weapons for tanks and planes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 11:25:45 AM »
There is no difference for space requirements of what a chassis is used for, however, there are some differences with Hulls, Torsos and Fuselages in how they are used.  Aircraft are most likely going to be streamlined, which reduces the amount of internal spaces allowed.  There are different levels of streamlining and the amount of spaces lost.

Tanks have no penalties for spaces, since there can be "Tanks on Legs."  However, tanks and other ground vehicles have no energy screens, which make them vulnerable to energy weapons.
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Wild_Card

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:13:24 PM »
There is no difference for space requirements of what a chassis is used for, however, there are some differences with Hulls, Torsos and Fuselages in how they are used.  Aircraft are most likely going to be streamlined, which reduces the amount of internal spaces allowed.  There are different levels of streamlining and the amount of spaces lost.

Tanks have no penalties for spaces, since there can be "Tanks on Legs."  However, tanks and other ground vehicles have no energy screens, which make them vulnerable to energy weapons.

Wait, by 'spaces' do you mean like having a kind of grid where you click-n-drag weapon onto? Like having to rotate a weapon to make it fit? Kind of like how older rpgs had their inventory system set up or the newer resident evil game?

If so, that might be interesting to how configurations are done.
Say a prayer, and draw a card.

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
Internal Spaces work in this manner:
The amount of Internal Spacing is computed by the type of Internal Structure used (materials, styling, and options) and the Combat Tonnage Rating.  Each section of the Chassis (such as an Arm) has a percentage amount of those spaces. 
Spaces are in measured in decimal numbers.
For example a Right Standard Arm has 8.08 internal spaces available for systems.  A 5mm MG I think is about 0.5 spaces.  So it is possible to stock up sixteen 5mm MG's in the arm.  However, the ammo requirement is going to be high...
A lighter Mech of the same configuration may only end up with having 5 point something amount of internal spacing available.
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

DeanoRune

• Mech Pilot
    • DeanoRune Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:46:17 AM »
What about a "armored" hover cargo plane to drop or collect mech while in a mission. Can this be a guild bonus or availble for hire (one time use). This will still be targetable and not abel to drop the cargo off - soo much for my deposit. Any ideas?
Don't blink - to late you missed it.

teufelich

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 08:55:01 AM »
What about a "armored" hover cargo plane to drop or collect mech while in a mission. Can this be a guild bonus or availble for hire (one time use). This will still be targetable and not abel to drop the cargo off - soo much for my deposit. Any ideas?

for mechs think dropship
for all else I dont see why not ;) but up to dev's ultimately

Sturm Kintaro

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 11:18:23 AM »
I think if the idea of "dropships" are being considered, if a corp is going to own one it'd be horrendously expensive (think EVE Titan), and expensive to maintain.  Not every 'Corp is going to be able to own one.  They could rent them, but it'd be for a limited engagement.  Also, keep in mind that Dropships will be able to be targeted on the ground, and losing one should make players think twice before using them in a risky manner.  I can see a 'Corp push very hard for a Dropship early on so they can try and get an early stranglehold on an opposing faction.  I don't think I want any faction hamstrung that early into a game's launch, do you> :)
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

DeanoRune

• Mech Pilot
    • DeanoRune Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
Sturm Kintaro  Your do have a point about getting to much of an advantage early after launch . There is two ways i can see that can slow that possabily down the cost for one these thing would be almost like buying a small planet (Well sort of) and Time to build one if a corp wants one have a delivery date agreed on by amount and time IE  600,000,000,000 to be ready in a month ect. And i did want to say drop ships but i wasnt sure if MW had that exclusive to them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:28:43 PM by DeanoRune »
Don't blink - to late you missed it.

teufelich

• Special Agent
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 05:41:39 AM »
im using drop ship term in loose reference as many systems besides the MW franchise have used the term to reference air ships of sorts and even if design of the air ship was say "hauler ship 012003a" they were still nicknamed drop ships even by the players.

as thinking over to eve <and even the beta mech eve game> these being costly and needing to be setup accordingly high maintenance does have its draw backs

HOWEVER <cant object to this>
Sturm is right.  Large transports, or even DS's will give a very unfair advantage at launch.

thinking onto this yes, latter availability is better than early.  Say 5 of us get together, start a corp, and build this using DS's and Transports.  As people join we would be able to mount a serious offensive, take out corps and even ruin any ability for new players to have an attempt at any type of hold on the world, let alone a strong hold.
This I have seen in too many games.

YET
According to the story line we have only been on the planet 40 yrs.  In my imagination I would not think DS's or large transports are readily available.  They need resources, and short of stripping the fleet outside the planet we gotta get the resources.  Plus with being on a different planet there could be several unforeseen drawbacks to trying to make these to begin with.  We may need different material than we are used to, might need different gear.  We been on this planet a spec of time now, do we even know the weather patterns and all else?

Long run, transports would be very handy for large corps, but in opening I have to agree with strum, I think it would be abused by others to get an early start to try and take control of the planet and restrict any other offending force.

Sturm Kintaro

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »
     I think from a lore perspective, not having Dropships would make sense. Otherwise every faction would already be beating the crap out of each other on a much more expanded scale than I think Wardog would like us to be at from the beginning. 

To look at it from a game perspective; these people have been fighting for 40 years and are currently at a very tenative cease fire between each other, because they know if they keep on going the way they are, the end result is all of their destruction.  At that point self preservation kicks in, and with the exception of some minor raids/recon/protection of their own assets, things are quiet... for now.  As to how long that stays that way in the future?  Well that's for us players to decide, now isn't it?

If you wanted another option if a DS type vehicle was in the game, you could have set landing points where they could operate, and this would only be available to those corps who have built up a good standing with the major Corps that own them.  Just because your neighbor has a Ferrari doesn't mean you get to drive it because he knows you.  You have to prove/show/convince him that letting you drive it is not just throwing $80,000 down a hole :) 

Similarly, just because a Corp has a dropship and you have the cash to rent it doesn't mean that you're going to have the right to fly it to somewhere there is a very real chance it could get lost.  They know "Bunny-ville" is safe, and if you want to take it there, that's an acceptable risk.  Trying to take it to "The Land of Fire and Death" probably will not reassure them that they will get their equipment back in the same conditon you rented it from.
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Combat System  |  Weapons for tanks and planes

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx