gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Automatic Registration is in effect (no e-mail verification).
Heck, Spambots easily defeat such checks, so why make it harder for you.

gfx gfx
gfx
261232 Posts in 232999 Topics by 3931 Members - Latest Member: clydeit2 February 21, 2018, 05:39:31 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Conquest System  |  Mercenary Guild Conquest
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mercenary Guild Conquest  (Read 9471 times)

Markius Proxim

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
Re: Mercenary Guild Conquest
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 09:02:08 PM »
ty i appreciate the support/respect   ;D

Burninator

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
OK this is an important topic to me, being an ex-pirate in EVE. I think you're all thinking about this the wrong way. The question of rogue settlements and armies in an MMO is always a tricky one to address. However these aren't questions that are going to be answered by the devs. They are going to be answered in play by the players. I think what the real issues here are to what extent are players going to be able to create their own structures and stationary defenses and to what extent will players be allowed to run their own markets. If players are given full rights to build, buy, sell, and transport goods (especially if they can build structures with full research and service facilities) you will undoubtedly see rogue settlements. I for one am all for full rights but it does breed elitism and elite player clustering, which I think will be unavoidable in this game format anyway. I say put the tools out there and see where the players take it.

Malice42

• Mech Pilot
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 06:26:46 PM »
I say put the tools out there and see where the players take it.

I completely agree. A good MMO is a sandbox MMO. Dont try to constrain us to fighting for the mega corporations by throwing in a bunch of reasons to do so.

Give us the tools, the means, and the way to generate cash/power from it  :laugh: (Most importantly, dont give us reasons to not do things : P!)

Killian

• Mech Slug
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 12:08:55 AM »
I have one more question/suggestion to add to the stack.  Would it be a good idea to push the idea of settlements into the FTL area.  If players do it they do it, but other players who do not like the idea, and have power in the big 4 can push against them.  Similar to the idea of questing for FTL, and Against.  This would ensure the community either wanted it when it happened.  IE personal armies can not afford the resources to fight the Big 4 if the community pushes against it, but if the community lets these personal un affiliated bases slide then they can build up to possibly even challenge the big 4 for power without opposition.  In other words for players outside the corps to be stopped players inside the corp.  have to work with the corp to do it. 

Which brings me to my next question.

Will players inside the corps be able to command npc employees of the big 4, or will the be putting out missions for other members.  I suggest a bit of both.  Lets say you gain some power in your corp.  you can then post a mission for members of the corp to go do x for you.  Like bring you 6 FTL drives for the ships you want to build to go off planet and start a new base for your corp, but you could also put up an npc mission for the same thing at a lower cost, but it would take a given amount of time say 3 weeks an FTL drive.  Just an example not sure that FTL travel will be developed (from what i read players in game determine that), but something intriguing. 

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 11:34:39 AM »
Would it be a good idea to push the idea of settlements into the FTL area?
Yes, if players would like to create their own secret bases on in space, there would be no rules to prevent this.   

Will players inside the corps be able to command npc employees of the big 4, or will the be putting out missions for other members.
Yes, it is the intent to allow players to even become the governing body of the major factions.
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Dead Eye

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
Is it possible to delare independance(or shift sides) from one of the big 4 when commanding a outpost? ::)

Markius Proxim

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »
they key to successful mmorpgs today is the ability to streamline player added (not designed necessarily) content backed by a robust economy that balences it's self. 

A limited library of items with static effects, avoiding items with *random% stats etc and lots of repeat items.

On a more personal level, avoiding any form of displaying a "level" inwardly or outwardly is pretty sweet.  *shurg* i really just can't tell where your going with this game really... and i have low hopes with all the WoW repeats I've played since wow.

it's hard for me to give advice w/o basis to support it, i.e. details about your game that will suck :p

Killian

• Mech Slug
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 09:23:06 PM »
If the players can govern the big 4 then it is really up to them if they will allow for mercenary settlements.  I mean if the players are the governing body of the original factions wouldn't it be up to them to stop these mercenary's, or even new corps from arising.  Once FTL is developed, or if.  Then the players in power of the big 4 have to deiced if they will leave any room for the little guys so to speak.  I imagine this is not a dev question, but more a question of what the player base will be like so yo speak.   

Burninator

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »
Exactly, and regardless of the size of the "big 4" corps, there will likely be too much area for them to defend effectively especially if enough players decide to go merc. (and they will)  ;D   And lets not forget the possibility of world natives being discovered. Now here's a slightly different skew on the original question. If a new merc faction does come to power, then how should sovereignty work? In EVE there is actually a skill for it. One of the hardest for any player to attain. In fact, I'm not sure if there are any corps with sovereignty yet. Anyway, I'd like to see structure and leadership to be more determined by the actual leadership skills of the players. Basically if a merc faction becomes strong enough they should be able to declare independence. If they can back it up great sovereignty for them, if not they fall. Keep the player's fates in their own hands, you know.

Markius Proxim

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »
unless game mechanics prevent you from being something other than the big 4 -.-

makes it quite hard to go merc

Burninator

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 05:08:59 AM »
Very slight possibility of that at the initial launch, but even then doubtful. The only way I see being forced to pick a faction in the big 4 is that players may have to start out in one, which is actually not an unlikely scenario. I can't imagine a game like this not allowing any kind of independent or rogue factions i.e. mercs. That alone would lose at least half of the playerbase probably more.

Hamilton

• President
  • Administrator
  • Field Marshall
    • Wardog Studios
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »
Is it possible to delare independance(or shift sides) from one of the big 4 when commanding a outpost? ::)
In theory that should be possible.  Repercussions would occur.  Didn't go into that level of detail for commanders or mayors wanting to change affiliations.  Would not be much of a difficulty to implement.  Basically if a base commander or city manager decides to renounce affiliation, the faction in the matter will send forces to regain control and purge the leadership.

This would be a coup essentially and for coups to be successful, there needs to be time to plan.  Declaring independence or a change in affiliation cannot be done instantly for bases or cities.  The leadership will first need to gain a loyal base (persuade others) and figure out a means to retain control when the faction forces arrive (or prevent them from arriving).
This isn't going to be easy, for if such information is leaked (such as from NPC's with questionable loyalty ratings) then an assassination may in order.

it's hard for me to give advice w/o basis to support it, i.e. details about your game that will suck :p
Really the best things that can be done to gain an understanding, would be:
- Read postings on the forums (yeah, yeah, already know that)
- Read the rules or sources of the HERO System (www.herogames.com).  Also this is the system that Cryptic Studios is using for Champions Online (though I don't know how closely related to the rules the system will be)
- And the Mech Construction System (though it lacks equations and numbers, so it will be a very dry read)

If the players can govern the big 4 then it is really up to them if they will allow for mercenary settlements. 
Correct.  After a certain amount of time, we will start taking our hands off of running the factions and letting players take control.  Some players may perform exceptionally great, while others may be very oppressive, or run them into the ground.  And should a faction be failing due to its leadership, then there will be mechanisms allowed for players to make changes.  Once in the seat of power, there is nothing in the rules, that states the position is forever until the player decides to resign or quit.

Keep the player's fates in their own hands, you know.
That is the intent.  By giving more power to the players, not only does that provide greater interests and engagement, but also, means less work we need to do, which means less costs to us, which in turns means a lower price for players.

Overall, we develop the framework, environment and overall story-arc; the players will then do the rest.

Very slight possibility of that at the initial launch, but even then doubtful. The only way I see being forced to pick a faction in the big 4 is that players may have to start out in one, which is actually not an unlikely scenario. I can't imagine a game like this not allowing any kind of independent or rogue factions i.e. mercs. That alone would lose at least half of the playerbase probably more.
At start-up, independents and mercs will not be allowed.  Shortly afterwards, those groups will become possible.  The reason is to form an establishment of the factions and for safe areas with new players.  Shortly after launch, players will be allowed to switch or generate characters into such groups.  Mercs are generally formed by players of a common faction, who want to be independent, but yet gain some safety of being with a corporation.  Some merc outfits may prefer to never leave their original faction, while others may prefer to work for anyone who pays the best.
Independent groups would have it the hardest and should be only played by those players who want the added difficulty, the adventure, or of the preference of working for no one, but themselves.

Would be interesting to see if any player operated faction will provide amnesty to any independents or raiders...
Sign off,
Hamilton
"Faith Manages" - J. Michael Straczynski

Markius Proxim

• Special Agent
  • Mech Pilot
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
sounds good, hope to see that power isn't something cool like bigger rank insignia and a better parking spot, rather money/resources and that fighting is done based on this fight for resources not b/c "they are the bad guys and i was bored".  I'd very much like to see a good implementation of risk vs reward and am looking forward to your development.

Agamemnon

• Wardog
  • Field Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
Once in the seat of power, there is nothing in the rules, that states the position is forever until the player decides to resign or quit.

The Lukron STRONGLY support this behavior, in fact we have dubbed the term, Early Retirement to justify leadership changes and adminstrative actions on our part!  ;D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that do not.

Xjere

• Mech Bait
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 06:29:25 AM »
From all that I've read, I can even see privateer factions springing up.  A group of independents gaining amnesty from a player controlled faction, and instead of these independents gaining their profit from doing missions from their benefactor faction, gaining through random attacks on unallied factions, or surgical strikes on cities.

It would be beneficial to both parties involved.

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Old General Discussion  |  Conquest System  |  Mercenary Guild Conquest

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx