gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Automatic Registration is in effect (no e-mail verification).
Heck, Spambots easily defeat such checks, so why make it harder for you.

gfx gfx
gfx
9671 Posts in 1095 Topics by 3391 Members - Latest Member: RonaldFus September 02, 2014, 04:41:18 PM
gfx* Home Help Login Register gfx
gfx
Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Player Added Content  |  Settlement Petitions  |  Umbral Junction
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Umbral Junction  (Read 1475 times)

Omega Red

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
Umbral Junction
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »
The following is a basic history and location of a place that I have been thinking of for a while.  I have a whole back story to this, however its a little long (around 25 pages long) so I provided the Cliff Notes version.  Please provide me feedback on likes and dislikes or areas that I may have gotten wrong in the Force of Arms Universe.

I will have some basic maps along with this in following posts.

“Our lives have all come together in the valley of the shadow and light for a reason”  Marius Hadrianus-3235

Umbral Junction is located in the area of 65/35 Day/Night zone of the planet along a pass inside a mountainous region that in the junction between two large valley regions on the North and Southern side of the pass.  The Pass is a main rout of land travel between from the 50/50 line and the North Pole.

History:

As the Corporation of Genoma begins to look for new sources they turn their sites onto a small out of the way planet K-9WD in order to continue their path to perfection.  With in the corporation the word has spread for opportunities for those that are of the lesser desirables of the Genome Corp. to rise in the ranks on this new planet.  A small group of 15 families decide to strike out and improve their worth.

The 15 heads of the families pull their resources and purchase transportation, resources and protection, in the form of a light mercenary mech lance.  The 15 families embark on the idea of hope and faith in the “Heads of the 15” to make the correct choices in order to lead them to wealth and power.

After much time scouting K-9WD they stumble onto a little known mountain pass that will receive the name of Umbral Junction.  Umbral being for the shade of the valley and the shadows that the Great Pillars create and Juncture for the lines of light that cross the valley due to the reflection of the exposed nickel of the rock.

Massive craters litter the valley floor as well as a series of Iron-Nickel pillars create a maze of rock and spectacular lights.  The craters were discovered to have been created due to a rare natural isotope of Nickel called Nickel-Carbonyl.  This isotope is extremely volatile when exposed to the open air and over time have detonated like hidden land mines in the valley.

After the “15 Families” established themselves as well as their ability to mine the rare nickel isotope for a profit, this brought the Battle of the Sand Raider Assault of 3235 to the new pioneers.  The much smaller and agile mercenary light lance of the “15 Families” is able to defeat the much slower and larger mechs of the Sand Raiders.  However much of the orgional outpost was destroyed and the “15 families” had to move inside on of the larger mines in the side of Umbral Mountain.

Today the “15 Families” have begun to show the Genoma Corporation or what is left of it on K-9WD that they are serious about establishing themselves as a serious contributor to the cause.  Lately several suspicious characters have been seen inside of the out post of “Umbral Junction” and rumors have it that the 15 families may have stumbled on one of the ingredients to creating “faster then light” travel.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:40:02 PM by Omega Red »
All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu
"Just ask my wife"

Mastiff

• Wardog
  • Mekkor Apprentice
Re: Umbral Junction
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
A few corrections as I read through this promising start:

Genome Corporation is actually Genoma Corporation

The initial colonizers of the planet were forced to settle there due to the sudden loss of faster than light travel, but it is within reason that there may have been a few human pioneers prior to the loss of faster than light travel. This stranded numerous fleets in the area and this planet proved to be the only one within reach capable of supporting life. The idea of colonizers setting forth to make their own destiny is welcome, under the shadow of the Corporations. There may be a more precious "mineral" than nickel which may replace your original thinking (but I'll have to leave it at that for now). But what you have written about carbonyl is intriguing and may be something we can work with.

Omega Red

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:46:46 PM »
Yes the mineral of Nickel as a source of income is not all that important other than it creates the spectaculr aray of lights from the reflection of the sun in the valley, which is where the name of Umbral Junction comes from.  The nickel-iron plated region was used to create stubility as a building material for the interior style post in the cliff walls. The true source of income comes from the processing and recovery of the carbonyl.

Thanks for any and all help.
- Sun Tzu
"Just ask my wife"

Agamemnon

• Wardog
  • Field Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 11:32:46 AM »
I have a whole back story to this, however its a little long (around 25 pages long) so I provided the Cliff Notes version.

I'd be interested in reading the whole thing if you have 25 pages fleshed out for this place. It must be extremely detailed with that many pages.  ;D

Oh, and why 15 families? Guild perhaps?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that do not.

Omega Red

• Special Agent
  • Mech Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 09:03:41 PM »
Sorry for any delay in my response, I have been busy grading papers this year.  I will try to get my thoughts on ideas on paper as soon as I can.
- Sun Tzu
"Just ask my wife"

Force of Arms  |  Data At Rest (Archives)  |  Player Added Content  |  Settlement Petitions  |  Umbral Junction

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.4 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Helios Multi design by Bloc
gfx